Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Knitted Tea Cosy

This past week I knitted a tea cosy!
Like my family doesn't think I am crazy already - my son asked why there was knitting on the teapot!


The pattern is a free pattern on Ravelry, called Fairy Cake Tea Cosy by Frankie Brown. The pattern is extremely well written and easy to follow; it is written for two sizes, I made the large one. The only change that I made was that I knitted the top section in the round because I didn't want to have to sew a seam.


This project started out as 100grams of natural wool roving (Knit Picks Bare Roving, it was the first time I have used it, and I would buy it again).


I dyed about two thirds into two different colours, using acid dyes and steaming.


I spun it into a thick-and-thin, singles yarn, because I wanted a really rustic, 'homespun' look. I used a  'quick-and-dirty' short backwards draw - it took less than an hour to spin the three skeins.


I washed the skeins in very hot water to set the twist, and rinsed them in cold water to felt them slightly. It was fun to spin, and the yarn was nice to knit with.
Spinning - because knitting isn't weird enough!


Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...